Re: Re: whats my Rear axle ratio

From: Walt Felix (walt@walt-n-ingrid.com)
Date: Sun Mar 23 2003 - 10:21:25 EST

If the tags are missing, there are a couple of different ways to figure
out your axle ratio.

1. If your willing to open the cover, count how many teeth are on the
ring gear, as well as the pinion gear, then divide the number of ring
gear teeth by the number of pinion gear teeth.

2. If you don't want to open the cover. With the rear up on jack
stands, draw a straight line on your driveshaft. If you have a Limited
Slip differential you must rotate any tire completely 1 revolution and
count the number of revolutions on the driveshaft. If you have an open
differential, you must rotate the tire 2 revolutions. This may not tell
you exactly what ratio you have, but it will be reasonably close. From
what I understand to be true, Dakotas came with 3.21, 3.55, or 3.90.
The 3.90 is an option on all. 3.21 was standard on V6 and V8 models.
3.55 was standard on 4 bangers and optional on V6 and V8. You should
count something close to one of them. If you count 3 and a half turns,
most likely a 3.55. Almost 4 complete turns would be a 3.90.

I think 3.55 would be the most likely because it was included with a
few of the option packages, but you could have the 3.90 option.

Walt Felix

http://www.Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
http://www.CruiseNights.Info
http://www.MoparsinMotion.Com