Re: Loss of diff fluid

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 13:38:14 EST

Jason Bleazard wrote:

> My understanding is that the CAD system was discontinued somewhere around
> '91 - '93 (not sure exactly when). Dodge decided that the reliability of
> the CAD system was poor enough that it was better to go with a simpler
> system, even if it puts a bit more wear on the gears. Even with that
> system, I believe it only disconnected one side, which means that the
> differential still turns (might be wrong on that last point).
>
> At any rate, I'm pretty sure my '95 doesn't have an axle disconnect, same
> as any of the newer models. The front axle is connected to the wheels
> 100% of the time. The only disconnect in 2wd mode is the fact that the
> transfer case is disconnected from the front drive shaft. I can double
> check my '95 FSM to verify this if need be.

I never knew that - I assumed all daks used the CAD system - hmm...the
doors of oppertunity have opened and those evil little gears in my head
are spinning faster.

> Fool :-). It's only $23 CDN to have it done. The difference between that
> and what it would cost to do it myself is only a couple of bucks, which
> isn't worth the aggravation to me.

Heheeh I prefer to do the changes myself - because I also don't
trust anyone to work on my trucks (such as they are) - I really need to
get around to buying a fumoto valve one of these days...

Terrible Tom

"It's a living thing... It breathes, it eats, ...and it hates..."

Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x2 Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x4 w plow - (aka Granpa) Green/Silver '95 Jeep Cherokee, I-6 HO, Auto, 4 door, 4x4

AIM Screen name: SilverEightynine Yahoo Messenger: SilverEightynine

DML Profile URL: http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/