Re: Loss of diff fluid

From: Jason Bleazard (jason.dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 16:03:05 EST

> I wanted to find more info before I posted so I looked up my FSM...it
> didn't yeild much in the way of help ... the front axle uses a CAD -
> central axle disconnect... I was trying to determine if the shafts are
> totally disengaged from the diff when the truck is in 2wd. I need to
> learn more about how the CAD works.

My understanding is that the CAD system was discontinued somewhere around
'91 - '93 (not sure exactly when). Dodge decided that the reliability of
the CAD system was poor enough that it was better to go with a simpler
system, even if it puts a bit more wear on the gears. Even with that
system, I believe it only disconnected one side, which means that the
differential still turns (might be wrong on that last point).

At any rate, I'm pretty sure my '95 doesn't have an axle disconnect, same
as any of the newer models. The front axle is connected to the wheels
100% of the time. The only disconnect in 2wd mode is the fact that the
transfer case is disconnected from the front drive shaft. I can double
check my '95 FSM to verify this if need be.

> Obvious signs to look for are metal shavings or gritty stuff in the
> bottom of the diff - did they pop the diff cover or just fill it up
> again? - obviously if they drained it you may not find residue in the
> bottom.

I'm pretty sure they just re-filled it, especially since they didn't
charge me anything to do so. If they would have removed the skid plate
and wrestled with the diff cover, they probably would have decided to
charge me for the labor.

> bah! I've done four oil changes since I moved, one time with the Ford,
> the undercarriage was coated in ice and I had water dripping on me the
> entire time I changed the oil. I do all my oil changes in all weather
> heheh.

Fool :-). It's only $23 CDN to have it done. The difference between that
and what it would cost to do it myself is only a couple of bucks, which
isn't worth the aggravation to me.

--
Jason Bleazard  http://www.bleazard.net  Toronto, Ontario

Didn't you read the disclaimer? http://www.they.com/disclaimer