Re: RE: 92 Dak v-8 belly pan gasket and cata -- advice needed please!

From: will (k_kodiak2@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 16:09:38 EST

About the belly pan gasket and plate...can I -- or
better yet, should I -- continue to drive with that
gasket blown?

The inside of my intake manifold is very oily/dirty.
And I found my AIS pintle stuck open to just over 1
1/4" causing the loud whistling sound from throttle
body. When I traced vacuum lines out I discovered a
nipple completely melted shut on the egr transducer.
What was left of the nipple was still attached to the
hose that connects it to the lower part of the egr
valve itself. Replaced egr and transducer and hoses.
Also replaced 02 sensor (maint reqd light on, 120k
miles on original sensor).

My thinking is that the belly pan gasket leak caused a
vacuum leak, that caused the problems with the ais,
egr, and 02 sensors...that allowed unburned fuel into
the cat...which caused the cat to clog/fail. Sound
okay so far?

If I can get the truck running with just the cat
replaced (it's going to cost @$250! outthedoor it's
welded on), and I can drive with the belly pan gasket
for a while without blowing everything up, then I
will.

If I have to fix then I have 2 questions:

1. How do I clean air intake manifold? I bought Engine
Bright. Dealer said don't use 3M scrubbing brush to
clean inside manifold because could ruin aluminum
casing inside. Archives say okay to use drill
w/scrubbing attachment. Can someone clarify for me? I
am not an experienced mechanic...obviously :-)

2. Once I've got it clean how to put it back on. Do I
use sealant and where? Dealer said none needed because
gasket is self-sealing. Haynes manual says use
sealant. Archives say it's okay. If use sealant, does
it go on intake or block side? What kind of sealant? I
don't want to mess this up. Intakes are very expensive
to replace.

3. My thinking is that I should spray Engine Brite
cleaner all over inside of intake manifold, let sit
for about 10 minutes, then power-hose gunk off. Then
take power air blower and dry off thoroughly. Is this
okay? I would like to get it really clean inside.

Really appreciate all the help here.

Will in the sticks...