Re: RE: 92 Dak v-8 belly pan gasket and cata -- advice needed please!

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 19:40:08 EST

will <k_kodiak2@yahoo.com> wrote:
[...]
: If I can get the truck running with just the cat
: replaced (it's going to cost @$250! outthedoor it's
: welded on), [...]

   If you have a sawzall, or a chain cutter, or even a hacksaw
and a lot of patience, you could do the job yourself for less
than half that. (You can just clamp it in place if you do not
have access to a welder - use some muffler paste on the joints
to ensure a leak free seal.)

: If I have to fix then I have 2 questions:

: 1. How do I clean air intake manifold? I bought Engine
: Bright. Dealer said don't use 3M scrubbing brush to
: clean inside manifold because could ruin aluminum
: casing inside. Archives say okay to use drill
: w/scrubbing attachment. Can someone clarify for me? I
: am not an experienced mechanic...obviously :-)

   I'm not sure why the dealer would say that. Its just
an aluminum casting. You probably want to be careful around
the belly pan gasket area (to avoid future leaks) but otherwise
I wouldn't worry too much; its a thick aluminum casting. (Heck,
I *sandblasted* mine!) :-)

   Just as an FYI, Simple Green is highly corrosive to
aluminum, so you probably don't want to use it (or if you
do, only let it set in place for around 10 minutes at a time
and rinse it off well).

   Of course, I'm assuming that you will be removing the
manifold to clean it. Trying to clean the intake manifold
while it is still on the engine is probably not a great
idea. :-)

   Before re-installing the intake on your engine, you may
want to consider spraying the outside with a high temp
spray paint to keep it looking good (prevents corrosion) and
make it easier to clean in the future. They are available in
many colors, or even clear. The ~450-500 degree stuff would
be just fine for the intake manifold, though ~1400-1500 degree
stuff is also available. (You can find this paint at Summit or
any parts store such as Autozone.) I recently did this to the
intake manifold on the 318 in my Ram - I forgot to take a good
"before" picture, but you should be able to get an idea of its
condition by the part of it that you can see in the upper left
corner of this pic:

http://www.jonsteiger.com/www/misc/ram%20hydrolock/before%20head.jpg

  And after I cleaned and painted it:

http://www.jonsteiger.com/www/misc/ram%20hydrolock/engine%20so%20far2.jpg

: 2. Once I've got it clean how to put it back on. Do I
: use sealant and where? Dealer said none needed because
: gasket is self-sealing. Haynes manual says use
: sealant. Archives say it's okay. If use sealant, does
: it go on intake or block side? What kind of sealant? I
: don't want to mess this up. Intakes are very expensive
: to replace.

    You want to be certain it will be a good seal. Because
coolant runs through the intake, a poor seal could allow
coolant into the valley pan area, which will dump it directly
into the oil supply. Coolant in the oil will cause all
friction surfaces in the engine to wear rapidly (and
potentially require a complete rebuild).

   What I do is to use RTV around all of the ports on the
heads (block side), make sure a bead of RTV is run along
the front and back (being sure to fill the dowel locating
holes along the back), with a generous dab at each of the
four corners. I put the four gaskets in place and run a bead
around all of the ports again, along the front and back, and
check the RTV at the four corners and touch it up if necessary,
before dropping the intake into place. (Be sure to drop it
straight down and in the proper location so you don't have
to wiggle it around much and disturb the gaskets and RTV.)

  As far as the type of RTV to use, standard black or blue
RTV should be fine; if you want some extra insurance on
the belly pan gasket, use "The Right Stuff" by Permatex,
it usually comes in a black can; its expensive but will
create an incredible seal.

: 3. My thinking is that I should spray Engine Brite
: cleaner all over inside of intake manifold, let sit
: for about 10 minutes, then power-hose gunk off. Then
: take power air blower and dry off thoroughly. Is this
: okay? I would like to get it really clean inside.

   That doesn't sound like it would damage anything - be
aware though that it will probably take quite a bit of
elbow grease to get it clean again - baked on oil has a
tenacious grip! :-) You will probably also have a "fun"
time getting the belly pan gasket off. You will probably
need to scrape it off with a scraper (just be careful not
to damage the gasket mating surfaces)

  For a step by step guide to removing and installing the
intake manifold, you might want to check out my MPI Intake
Installation Guide. It is geared toward replacing the
stock intake with the 4bbl MPI intake, but the basic
procedures for removing and installing the manifold are the
same. (You can find it in PDF format at
www.steigerperformance.com, in the "Product Documentation"
section.)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'