Re: Control Arm bushings

From: Steve Mills (srm804@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 20:31:21 EST

I replaced the upper control arm bushings on my 92 2wd with no press.The
hard part is getting the old ones out.Remove the arm and place it in a vice.
With the help of a die grinder i cut 4 areas across the open side of the
bushing.I then sprayed it down with WD40.With a large flathead screwdriver I
bent the bushing in on itself,then drove them out from the back.It takes
time,but without a press this does work.The new factory bushings come with
an update that probably applies to your truck.The update says only replace
the washer in the front.My guess is this keeps the shaft straight in the
bushing for even wear.I installed the new ones with the help of an oversized
nut and some antisieze.Place the oversized nut between the bushing and the
factory nut,tighten the nut all the way,back it out,remove the oversized nut
and retighten.I don't recommend using polyurethane they are very
noisy.Either use factory or polygraphite.By the way,I believe my
bushings,hood insullation and wiring harness wrap all dried out due to my
headers and the enormous amount of heat they generate under my hood.When I
installed headers on my 92 4wd I got smart and used header wrap before the
install.Good Luck. Steve