Fan clutch roar: weird

From: jay & dana (jay&dana@telus.net)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 20:29:25 EST

I remember Bernd's post about the fan should not spin more than 5
revolutions when cold, but on my 97, 318 ever since I've had it whether cold
or hot it would not spin more than 1/4 revolution, as if the fluid inside it
was like molasses. But here is my question, lately when I'm driving slowly
and turning corners, left or right I get that fan roar until I straighten
out then it stops, but if I start turning again it starts to roar again. Is
this normal?
Also I've noticed that I can grab the fan blades and slightly rock it back
and forth and there seems to be a little play in it where it connects to the
water pump, only about 1mm or so. Is there a bearing at the end of the
water pump that the fan attaches to that can be replaced or what am I
looking at here? Any advice here guys would be greatly appreciated as this
fan roar is driving me nuts. (I not looking for "get rid of that fan clutch
and put an electric one in")

Thanks in advance for any help in this matter,
Jay