DML:Painting a fiberglass cover

From: Peter A. Athens (p.athynz@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Mar 28 2003 - 19:43:01 EST

I recently bought a used hard fiberglass
tonneau cover for my Dak for what was a
really excellent price ($150.00). The only
real problem (other than the fact it was made
for a GenII Dak) is that it does not match
the color of my truck. I called around and
visited a few body shops, most of them
wanting $250.00 to $300.00 to repaint it (it
is white, my Dak is two tone Flame Red/
Gray), but from a local Dodge dealer I got an
estimate of $160.00 to $175.00.

I'm curious if anyone else on this list has
ever had it done or heard of it being done,
and if so what did it cost? I'm also curious
as to whether or not the dealer's body shop
is taking into account the triple coat paint,
the preparation of the cover, the need to
perhaps do a bit of adding some resin?

Obviously I really like the dealer's price,
but I also want it done right. Any thoughts/
comments/ etc. would be very welcome.

Pete
2000 CC SLT 3.9L 3.55
no mods as yet