Re: Snow plow on DAK

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Mar 29 2003 - 23:25:36 EST

DakotaPU93@aol.com wrote:
> Has anybody put a snowplow on their DAK?
> Im thinking of getting a Quad cab and Im wondering if you can
> put a plow on it.
> I'd only be plowing a 400' foot driveway - not for commercial use.
> If anyone has put a plow on their truck, how did it perform and what size
> engine did you have, and what type of plow?
> Thanks, Kev

My 89 4x4 has been a plow truck its entire life (and it shows). Plows
are hard on any trucks - even heavy duty trucks. Granpa (name of the
truck) had a 6.5 foot Meyers steel plow plade and an e-47 hydro lift
unit. These plows are heavy. Poly plows are a bit lighter. If you are
only going to plow your private drive way I would recomend a differnt
typw of snow plow - than the commercial grade plow I have.

David Henry's 94 Gen II has a Snow Bear plow I believe. It uses an
electric winch to raise and lower the blade (poly I believe). It is a
manual angle plow - meaning you have to get out of the truck and adjust
the angle yourself - if you need to push snow on different angle. This
kind of plow system is cheaper, lighter weight, and a little easier to
install than a traditional Meyers, Western, or Boss. It will also put
less wear and tear on your truck. 6.5 - 7 foot steel blades will weigh
between 500-700 lbs depending on the model and the mount. poly blades
will shave a couple hundrid off - but it is still a lot of weight to
have on the front end of a light duty 1/2 ton truck.

According to the Snow Bear plow guide ---
(http://www.snowbear.com/html/mount_guide.html#3) --- they sell plows
that will work with 1987 - 2002 model Dakotas. 2 and 4wd. (I SERIOUSLY
recommend 4wd for plowing - trust me you dont want to plow with a 2wd...
these guys say you can - and if there is only a small amount of snow on
teh ground you can - but unless you are on a totally flat grade or
downhill.... dont count on stellar results.)

As for 2003 - you would have to contact them to see if it works with
them - I would think they would - I dont think Dodge made any front end
changed between 02 and 03.

If you wnat a plow for your drive way I I would recommend the snow bear
- but I have not had any personal experiance with them - might want to
talk to David about it.

Terrible Tom

"It's a living thing... It breathes, it eats, ...and it hates..."

Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x2 Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x4 w plow - (aka Granpa) Green/Silver '95 Jeep Cherokee, I-6 HO, Auto, 4 door, 4x4

AIM Screen name: SilverEightynine Yahoo Messenger: SilverEightynine

DML Profile URL: http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/