RE: Camper shell Holder?

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 09:51:56 EST

-----Original Message-----
On Behalf Of raymond.irons@gm.com
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 6:04 AM
To: dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net
Subject: Re: DML: Camper shell Holder?

Matt and Ray,

The system I use is very similar to Ray's idea. I have a Leer fiberglass cap
that is on my '99 CC, December through March (I'll be removing it this
week). The hoist was originally designed to remove and hold the cap on the
'89 Toyota and still works fine.
Since the hoist holds the cap April through November, the differences are:
the cap sits on two, six-foot long 2x4s. Over time, a rope sling would
deform the bottom of the cap by pinching it together. Ropes, four in all,
are tied to the ends of the 2x4s. Each rope runs through a pulley hanging
from the bottom of the trusses. The other end of the ropes are brought
together and attached to a small block and tackle (frequently sold in
sporting goods stores to hoist deer). Once the cap is off, it's hoisted up
until the top is just below the nine-foot ceiling in the garage. This leaves
plenty of headroom below.
I can take some pics of the operation but they will have to be e-mailed
since I have no way of posting them.