Re: another glitch with project 390

From: Bob Mankin (bob@coralfarms.com)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 19:53:46 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: <Pukeloser@aol.com>
To: <dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net>
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 4:14 PM
Subject: DML: another glitch with project 390

> Hey all,
>
> Just another update on the 390 project. I have had her going for just
> over a week now and have had a weird valvetrian noise that I thought was
just
> a roller rocker adjustment prob. I readjusted all the rockers yesterday
but
> no dice, still makes a "dieselling" sound under load below 2200rpm. So I
> called Hughes engines and they are pretty sure it is detonation.
Apparently
> the computer does not agree with stroker kits and cannot retard the timing
as
> needed to suit. The fix is to either run extremely high octane fuel all
the
> time or install the $450 knock sensor kit. I chose the latter. The kit
should
> be here in a day or two and is not only adjustable for sensitivity but
acts
> as an ignition amplifier also (like an MSD or equivilent). How many more
> glitches can I run into!? oh well, such is the life of a custom hot
rodder.

> John S

John, the knock retard system you are referring to is most likely the J&S
Safeguard. While is does provide hotter spark, it's not multiple spark like
the MSD. That's the one lacking feature. It can be wired in such a way to
trigger the MSD if you want.

Depending on which model you get, it has the knock sensor intelligence which
can retard on an individual cylinder basis, has programmable soft rev
control(as opposed to the factory fuel cutoff), sensitivity adjustments,
timing retard for boosted and NA apps and an optional billet display is
available. Very nice unit, one of the best out there for knock control and
it can be a head gasket/motor saver when used correctly.

Honestly though, not the best way to address the timing issue. The ideal
would be a retune of your curve to better fit the needs of the stroker, but
the J&S is not a bad choice.

Bob
- a happy J&S Safeguard user