44RE trans

From: Eric Luce (ontheluce@adelphia.net)
Date: Wed Apr 02 2003 - 06:08:43 EST

I was wondering if someone could shed some light on a trans issue for me. I
assumed (for some unknown reason) that my Dak was equipped with the 45RFE
tranny. I just found out that it has instead, the 44RE. Factory original, by
the way. My questions are...is this a reliable tranny, and is it considered
heavy-duty? My truck came equipped with the trailering package and should be
able to continue to pull without problems, shouldn't it?
I had been saving all posts for the 45RFE and deleting the ones I really
needed !! Also, in regards to shift kits for this. Who has tried them, and
what advice can you share? This will not see track use, nor street racing.
Just want to firm up the shifts and extend the tranny life. I'm looking to
simply make practical improvements. What are your experiences? It has the
cooler package factory installed. Anything I should watch out for or be
aware of as far as weaknesses with this transmission? It has 55K on it
right now, with NO problems. Will be going in to the dealer tomorrow for
trans servicing (fluid/filter/band adjustment check). Thanks guys !

Eric Luce
'99 Dak CC, SLT
5.2L, auto, 4X2