RE: Re: RE: RE: Where to find invoices?

From: RayB (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Apr 02 2003 - 13:48:16 EST

> -----Original Message-----
<snip>
 To find the REAL invoice price, we'd have to raid the sales
> manager's office for the paperwork or look in the computer.

Josh...I never talk to a salesman. I go directly to the sales manager with
my order and they look up the estimated invoice. That's the part that's
always wrong and Edmunds is correct. The actual invoice has always been
lower than the sales manager's numbers. That's why I get them to agree to
either invoice price or $100 over based on the "actual" invoice and not a
predetermined dollar amount. Been that way with Mopars for at least 20
years. Now if you're buying something off the lot then, yes, they already
have the actual invoice and should be willing to show it to you if you're
negotiating up from invoice.

<snip>
> b/c every car on the dealer lot is ordered. The dealer has to option the
> cars out and they build them to the dealer's orders. <snip> -Josh

That's correct!

> > Isn't the REAL cost on the bill of lading? Invoice is just
> what they WANT
> > for the truck..and $100 over that is $100 more than full
> retail. (As if I
> > know..just rambling, sorry)> > Rascal

Appreciate the rambling, Rick. :-) But no, the invoice is several thousand
lower than the retail sticker. It's "basically" what the dealer pays for
the vehicle but it doesn't show the whole picture. There's a thing called
"hold back" wherein the dealer gets a percentage of the vehicle cost back
from the manufacturer when they sell it. They usually won't share any of
that with you. Another issue that affects what you pay for the vehicle is
"factory to dealer incentives" where the factory cuts the dealer a better
deal to move a particular model. It's up to the dealer whether he wants to
share that with the customer but if you know about it you can certainly
negotiate. It's always reported in "Automotive News" which is an industry
newsletter, available by subscription or in your local library reference
section.

This stuff is explained pretty well on the Edmunds site.

RayB