sign of bad ball joint?

From: Alex Ross (blackdak@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Apr 12 2003 - 18:12:30 EDT

How can I tell if I have a bad lower ball joint? I jacked the truck up and
tried to wiggle the front tire. But, it was solid. The rubber boot is torn.
Truck makes a clunky sound as if something is loose. Seems to ride/steer
fine. Took the shock off, it was fine (Bilstein w/ 30k miles). Could the
lower control arm bushings be bad? I just recently had both entire upper
control arm assemblies (arm, bushings, ball joint) replaced under warranty.

Alex
97 Sport V8 5spd