Poor running help!!!

From: Greg (gregk@6stringblues.com)
Date: Sun Apr 13 2003 - 16:13:37 EDT

I have a 99 Dakota v8 5spd. The truck has run great since I've had it.
Then one day this started. When you drive the truck on the highway for
about 45mins, it starts to get sick. It sometimes pings, it loses power and
gets this very deep loud sound when you give it gas trying to produce power.
It just has no power and takes a lot of pedal to keep moving at highway
speed. If you stop and shut it down four abou 15 - 20 mins, the problem
goes away and it runs great again. You can drive around town all day and
have no problem at all regardless of how long the engine runs. This is
quite a problem since the drive to work is about an hour and ten minutes. I
thought maybe fuel pump? But there also seems to be a weird noise from the
muffler or distributor. But maybe it's just me....

Thanks...
Greg....