Sterio ruminations / questions

From: BARRY OLIVER (DHSPA58@dhs.state.il.us)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 11:08:43 EDT

With all this talk of Subs, building boxes, replacement speakers and subs named after bulls.. I have really got the bug to work on mine.

I currently have a 99 cc with the infinity cd+cassette 6 spkr stock system. One of my rear speakers is toast. I feel that this system was adequate without being impressive, and a bit lacking on low-end. I also have but am not using a pair of 8" solo-barics and a small kenwood 30x2 amp.

As a result of the discussions on the list I am thinking of doing the following:
 Replace all (6) of the stock speakers with higher quality aftermarket units
Add subs in the back under the rear seats.
If I can find a head unit that FITS PROPERLY and does CD, cassette, and MP3's I will switch.

My goals are:
Retain the stock look as much as possible
Improve the sound quality over stock (higher highs, lower, more accurate bass)
Improve the *clean* sound volume over stock (SPL?)
Retain stock seats in the rear or at least retain the complete range of adjustment of the front seats.
Retain tool storage under rear seats (in some fasion).
If I build a box for the rear, replacing the seats, etc. I don't want to loose more than 5-6" of "open area" behind the seats compared with the stock setup.
If I get an AMP, I want to buy one that will do everything.

I listen to all types of music from Metallica to Johnny Cash to Hard Techno. I don't often listen to rap, but some of the techno I do listen to has similar beats and frequencies. I am not concerned with others being able to hear me blocks away, but I want to be able to drown out the guy in the ricer next to me - I don't wanna hear him.

I am looking for recommendations on:
What speakers to use
what to do about subs
stock head unit or *other*

I haven't kept many of the sterio posts, so if anyone has kept the links to what others have done, and would be kind enough to offlist them to me, I would appreciate it.

                              -Barry
MCP, A+, Network+, Server+
Efficiency is doing things right.
Effectiveness is doing the right things.
Character is doing the right thing when nobody is looking.
Contact Info:
217-899-6105 Cell 217-467-8673 Page
217-558-6000 Desk barryoliver@novanis.com
Username: barrysuperhawk