Re: Replacing stock speakers

From: BARRY OLIVER (DHSPA58@dhs.state.il.us)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 14:42:31 EDT

Paul, I didn't mention classical, but it is also part of my collection... I did specify music quality over gross volume. I understand what you are saying though... Thanks.

>>> Tubamirbls@aol.com 04/15/03 11:07AM >>>

I just read your posting. My taste in music is almost the direct opposite of
yours (classical) and I am a musical instrument maker so very fussy about
sound quality.

I have the factory top of the line system in my truck too however the
much-touted speakers that came with it were very plain vanilla when it came
to delivering accurate harmonics (sound) at all volume levels above a
whisper. The mid range was there and dominated, but bass was thumpy and weak
and high treble was strident and unclear.

So these Sony speakers being 3 speakers in one made a significant improvement
at all levels, bass, mid and high treble. They were an exceptional
improvement in delivering a clear sound at bass-mid-treble. I left the
factory ineffective tweeters disconnected in my front doors and replaced the
4 others with the Sonys.

If you are one of those who drives around with the volume level turned up to
the painful treshhold (that's not me) then I can't really say how these would
perform, I never do that. They definitely respond with excellent clear
fidelity at all reasonable levels and with substantial power (loudness) when
desired.

If you want that driving sub bass, then the physics of sound transmission
simply rules here. You can't get that kind of delivery out of a 6.75"
speaker. It requires almost twice that diameter and a powerful amp to push
it and a minimum cubic enclosure to set those slow cycles involved in deep
bass. If you don't have all of these you limit the ability of your system
investment to give you what you're seeking

Paul Sahlin