Re: Good place to ground?

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Fri Apr 18 2003 - 00:17:57 EDT

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 22:46:06 -0400, Blakdak2k@aol.com wrote:

>For those of you who have hooked up amps behind your seats where might be a
>good place to hook the ground wire. I was thinking maybe to the bolt that
>holds the seat brackets down. Or maybe cutting a square out of the carpet
>somewhere and getting to the bare metal. Any thoughts or suggestions?
>Thanks Aaron

Bolts for the seats or the seat belts are generally good. If you go
with one of the seat bolts, try to get one of the ones that goes
directly to the body metal (and not the bolts in front that are
horizontal). Whatever you do, make sure you scrape off the paint so
that the ground wire makes good, solid contact.

For the sake of doing a "clean" installation in a reasonable amount of
time, you're best off grounding to a pre-existing bolt. As I said,
make sure you scrape off ALL of the paint that the ring terminal on
your ground wire will be in contact with so that it makes a good
connection.

I have my XM tuner grounded to the front seat rail by way of the screw
in the front of the rails that holds the plastic trim piece on. Works
fine since it's such a low power draw, but with an amp you'll want a
better ground since you're dealing with significantly more power.

-Bill