Re: gear oil

From: B1LLYW@aol.com
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 12:37:38 EDT

In a message dated 4/23/2003 12:33:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
BigGabe@fiufiji.com writes:

> when i get the gears done on my truck, i am going to put synthetic gear oil
> in the rear-end. i need to know what weight to get. in my manual there is
> nothing that specifies the type, however, in my Hayes manual, it says
> 75W90.
> i've also been told that the rear-end runs 80W90, which i have looked
> around
> for, and have not been able to find it (at least not synthetic).

Run a good quality NON-SYNTHETIC for the first 500 miles or so. 80W90 would
be the stuff. Pull the diff cover(s) and drain the fluid. Any large chunks
of metal would be an obvious sign of a problem, otherwise you should be in
good shape. Put your covers back on. I've used Grey RTV with good results.
After you've broken them in, then switch to synthetic. I'm a big fan of Red
Line. The part number should be on my website if you need it.

Bill White - http://www.bionicdodge.com

'02 Dakota QC 4x4, SLT +, 4.7, 5 spd, 3.92 LSD
'95 Dakota CC 4x2, SLT, 318, 5 spd, 3.55 LSD