Re: Distributor cap Q

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 09:57:23 EDT

Mine does that as well, but the film inside is more yellowy and the
terminals were burnt pretty good. It didn't start until I put the MSD box
and coil in. Showed it to my dad, he said his used to to that back in the
day (in his racecar) also. Apparently it's some sort of ionization from the
high energy ignition system that leaves the residue. After 15K miles you
couldn't even tell that my rotor was black to start with. It was pretty sad
looking.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L

"Bob Tom" <tigers@bserv.com> wrote in message news:5.0.2.1.0.20030425084942.009f4870@bserv.com... > > Last season, I was experiencing a misifire at high rpms at the track. > I examined my distributor cap (Echlin brass from NAPA) to find > that the inner contacts were completely covered with a thick, hard, > white, chalk-type substance. I replaced it with a new Echlin cap but the track > closed before I could make any runs with it. Because of the harsh > winter, daily driving was kept to a minimum and drastically reduced. > > In prep for this season's racing, I noticed the same type of build-up > on the inner contacts but not nearly as bad. I'm just wondering if > anyone else has noticed a similar buildup in their caps with low > driving use. > > Thanks > Bob >