Fuel pump question

From: WP (puzlist@mn.rr.com)
Date: Sun Apr 27 2003 - 00:32:38 EDT

Can anyone tell me if the in-tank fuel pump in a 94 Dakota is actually
submerged in gas? I know it's in a big plastic bucket-shaped unit that
drops into the tank, but I can't tell from looking at it if it's built
that way to keep the pump out of the fuel, or if it acts as a baffle to
keep the pump submerged. There's no opening at the bottom, other than
the pump inlet, but the pump itself has an attached screen and a small
green tube that are both inside the plastic bucket. Anyone know what
that 'extra' screen and the green tube are for?

Thanks

Warren