Re: So...how much can I stick in the bed?

From: Tubamirbls@aol.com
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 10:14:24 EDT

Hi Chris
      Looking at the 2003 Dodge Truck sales literature it states that the
maximum cargo load for a Dakota CC 2wd is 2,040# and w/4wd it's 1,770, an R/T
CC is 1,130, and the fine print warns that this applies to "when properly
equipped." There hasn't been any meaningful changes in Gen III suspension
capacities so you might assume these data are applicalbe for '97 models to
date.
     The "proper equipment" refers to optional HD rear suspension which is a
factory installed item that consists of 5 leaf eliptical rear springs, a rear
stabilizer bar about 3/4" OD and larger piston gas charged shocks. There may
be a mandatory upgrade over standard tire size involved in this pkg too as
well as a different coil spring rate (ie; thicker steel) front suspension.
When I bought my truck and enquired of my dealer's truck sales personnel
about this he stated that "very few" Dakotas are ordered for dealer stock
with this option. The 4 leaf rear springs supplied on 2wd CC's are rated for
roughly a 1,500# load max thus the old 3/4 ton designation which he said is
adequate for the majority of buyers. The HD option in his opinion made a
material change in handling and ride for the Dakota which was judged to be
negative.
     So check your leaf springs and if your CC has 4 leaves then don't exceed
1,500#. If you have 5 then you should be able to handle a ton.

Paul Sahlin