Re: good trailer hitch?

From: kenallgood@cox.net
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 12:25:50 EDT

Hehe, good luck on the rusting part. I guess if you spray something on there (like underbody coating?), that'll help prevent rusting... I bought mine at Sams Club, an excellent price. It's somewhat of a universal hitch, but Dakota is one of the vehicles that was listed on it. It was about $80. Class 3 hitch, with a 2" and 1-1/2"?. Not sure what the smaller ball was, actually, I think it was 1-7/8". Then it also comes with an adjustible piece that lets you lower and raise the ball. Personally, I inverted this piece to give my trailer a higher mounting point, it's about level with my bumper ball. Did this since the Dakota isn't exactly a tall truck, and I would occasionally scratch on steep dips, etc (coming out of parking lots, etc). Doing that probably took it so the hitch won't support as much, but I never tow more than 2000 - 3000 lbs, and since it's rated at 5000lbs, that's not a problem. To install this set though, you'll need a 1/2" drill bit to drill into the frame becaues, unfortunately, i
t does not line up on the frame. Think I had to drill 2 holes, maybe 3. Once I did that, rest was easy. If you're only going to do light towing, why not use the bumper ball (put one on for $5 from auto parts store) and just use a bike hitch for the bikes.. Just a thought.... (bumper is rated at 2000lbs, but I wouldn't even try to do that much).

Ken Allgood
97 CC SLT 5.2L