Re: good trailer hitch?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 20:42:38 EDT

"Tim Althoff" <talthoff@yllwdkta.com> wrote:

: i am looking for a good trailer hitch for my 99 V6 dakota. I am only really needing it for a bike rack/hitch but might do some light towing in the next year. I want something that will look nice and not get all rusty! any suggestions on brands and class?

    As others have stated, good luck on the rust thing. :-) About
the only thing I can think of is to have someone custom build you one
out of stainless, because all of the trailer hitches I have ever had
have had the paint flake off, and rust eventually. Another option
might be to get a hitch (either new or used) and have it line-x'ed.
With a nice thick coat of that stuff, you will probably be able to
keep it looking decent for a while. Should last longer than paint,
and probably longer than powdercoat too.

   I probably wouldn't go any lower than a Class III, just so you
don't limit yourself. All of my hitches have been Reese. You
probably can't go wrong with a Reese or a Mopar (I don't know if
Mopar actually builds their hitches - I doubt it - but whoever
does, appears to do it well.)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'