ITS ALIVE!!! - - Sorta...

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 22:08:48 EDT

*The Good* I fired the engine up today and my repairs worked. Now to
some - replacing a timing chain is no big deal. For me, this was the
most I've done to an engine before. The gaskets showed no leaking and
the engine timing was perfect again. That "diesel" clattering sound is
gone! I'm very pleased with the fact I was able to do these repairs.
I've had no training or previous experiance - and only the FSM to guide
me. The most I have done before was a water pump - and valve covers

*The Bad* There is something knocking. The engine had not run in 4
months I know I should have pulled the plugs - and shot some oil down
the holes to lube the pistons and cyl walls before I turned it over.
But I remembered Jon's problems with pulling the plugs on his Ram
October 2002... and I didnt feel like even risking that can of worms.
When I cranked it over - it was clattering loud - and my first thought
was "thats a freakin rod"

but then it got quieter after the engine warmed up. I got under the
truck and listened at the oil pan - no noise or knocking down there.
The noise seems to be top end. Is it possible to have rod knock and not
hear it at the oil pan? I know if it was a rod-to-bearing knock I would
hear it - but what if its a rod-to-piston knock? Would it be noticable
from below or above?

*The Ugly* I still have to finish trying to extract the passenger side
lower shock bolt - its NOT going well. Stripped down two "easy" outs
(dumb name for them). I also have other issues such as the hole in the
floor, to address.

The fact I dont hear anything below makes me think its not as bad as it
could be.... opinons please? I let the engine run about half an hour
(till it showed normal temp on the gauge) if its valve train... i dont
know ... I dont think it would make a 1600 mile round trip - not
including heavy offroading...

Any and all input, thoughts, and opinions are as always, greatly
welcomed...

Terrible Tom

************COUNTDOWN (84) DAYS UNTIL M-DAY************

Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x2 Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x4 w plow - (aka Granpa) Green/Silver '95 Jeep Cherokee, I-6 HO, Auto, 4 door, 4x4

AIM Screen name: SilverEightynine Yahoo Messenger: SilverEightynine

DML Profile URL: http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/