RE: AMSOIL...Is it just me or...

From: RayB (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu May 01 2003 - 10:23:28 EDT

Let me begin by saying I use synthetic oil in all my vehicles as I believe
it can't hurt and I'm looking for every little advantage in performance,
mileage and durability. Have I actually recorded an improvement in drag
strip times or mileage? Not really. Now that's comparing the same
viscosity oils. Going to a lighter viscosity would make a difference but
that might compromise durability. I use 10w30 in my '92 Dak and 5w30 in my
'00 Jeep and '02 Stratus, i.e. just what the factory recommends. All three
are regularly raced.

I've recorded a greater improvement in racing by running the oil a half
quart low than I did by switching to synthetic. As a member of the drag
racing community for 40 years, I've come to accept the fact that most racers
will do anything to go faster. So it should come as somewhat of a surprise
that the vast majority of racers I know don't use synthetic oil. They have
determined that the benefits don't outweigh the extra cost. So, I'm
basically in the minority by using synthetic but I'll stick with it anyway
for the (hopefully) extra protection under extreme conditions.

RayB