Re: Engine Update

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu May 01 2003 - 10:38:36 EDT

Hi Tom

At 05:06 PM 4/30/03 -0500, you wrote:

>Here is what has transpired since I last posted. Lastnight I went back
>out and let the engine run longer... the noise almost went away. When I
>throttled up and increased the RPM - the noise got a little louder. it is
>by no means as loud as it was when I first cranked the engine over.
>
>It definatly is the passenger side cyl bank, Jon. And I just read you
>post about the types of lifters etc. Thanks! I had to reread it a couple
>times but I got it. WHen I was saying solid lifters I was referring to
>the fact the are not roller lifters on the bottom. My knowledge on lifter
>styles and designs isnt that good obviously heh thanks for the run
>down. Makes more sence to me now. M y concern was the bottoms of the
>lifters were worn - I beleiv ethey way they are supposed to be is
>convex. Where they are slightly rounded on the ends. I know that when
>they become worn - the bottoms are concave. (rounded in)
>
>As for the hydraulic part - that I still dont fully grasp - but I assume
>that from what you said - that part of the design allows for variances in
>valve train wear correct? So as the lifter and cam lobe surfaces wear -
>the lifter itself automatically corrects for the differences?
>
>I did pop the pass. valve cover off, actually prior to reading Jons post.
>Foolishly hoping there was a little green gremlin hiding in the valve
>cover hitting my engine with a little hammer, and I could pick him up and
>throw him in a bucket of pain thinner. Nope no one there. What I
>discovered however, was that the number 4 and number 6 intake rockers are
>lose on the shaft. (can wiggle them side to side) I dont know if thats
>normal or not? These rockers are stamped and on a single shaft. Are these
>"adjustable" ? if so - what can I do?
>
>It was recommended that I change the oil. What I did was I had already
>drained the oil pan - and flushed 2 1/2 quarts of clean oil through the
>engine before I filled it. Should I change it again?

Sorry Tom but I haven't been closely following your thread so I don't
know how long the engine has been sitting since it was last fired up.

It does sound like 4 and 6 lifters have either collapsed a little or become
"lazy". I think that your rockers are the non-adjustable type.

If I had your problem, I would put 1/2 a quart (1 pint) of Marvel Mystery Oil
into the oil system, run the engine at moderate rpms and monitor it.
If the problem is that your lifters are slow to pump up, it might be that there
is sludge etc. in the engines passageways and cause the oil pressure to
be low enough to prevent the lifters from being fully pumped up.

There's been great debate about what's in Marvel Mystery Oil ... kerosene
or trans. fluid or a combo. ... whatever. It has been around a long time
and it does work. If the noise goes away, replace the oil and filter after
a bit (sludge may be have dropped to the screen). Some have found
that they have to use the MMO every time they do an oil change since
the noise re-appears if they don't.

It's an expensive try. I used it once a couple of years ago in my Dak
when I thought that the lifters were getting abnormally noisy at idle
after start-ups. It worked ... things got really quiet and I've never used
it since. HTH.

Bob