Re: Engine Update

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu May 01 2003 - 13:04:24 EDT

Bob Tom wrote:

> Hi Tom
>
> Sorry Tom but I haven't been closely following your thread so I don't
> know how long the engine has been sitting since it was last fired up.
>
> It does sound like 4 and 6 lifters have either collapsed a little or become
> "lazy". I think that your rockers are the non-adjustable type.
>
> If I had your problem, I would put 1/2 a quart (1 pint) of Marvel
> Mystery Oil
> into the oil system, run the engine at moderate rpms and monitor it.
> If the problem is that your lifters are slow to pump up, it might be
> that there
> is sludge etc. in the engines passageways and cause the oil pressure to
> be low enough to prevent the lifters from being fully pumped up.
>
> There's been great debate about what's in Marvel Mystery Oil ... kerosene
> or trans. fluid or a combo. ... whatever. It has been around a long time
> and it does work. If the noise goes away, replace the oil and filter after
> a bit (sludge may be have dropped to the screen). Some have found
> that they have to use the MMO every time they do an oil change since
> the noise re-appears if they don't.
>
> It's an expensive try. I used it once a couple of years ago in my Dak
> when I thought that the lifters were getting abnormally noisy at idle
> after start-ups. It worked ... things got really quiet and I've never used
> it since. HTH.
>
> Bob

Hi Bob! Yeah the engine was mothballed for 4 months before I got it
running again. I thoguht that these were non adjustable rockers yup...
thanks for the confirmation. Marvel Mystery Oil eh? Never heard of it
- but I'll give it a try. Wouldnt happen to know where I can buy it?
Local parts store perhaps?

Terrible Tom

************COUNTDOWN (82) DAYS UNTIL M-DAY************

Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x2 Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x4 w plow - (aka Granpa) Green/Silver '95 Jeep Cherokee, I-6 HO, Auto, 4 door, 4x4

AIM Screen name: SilverEightynine Yahoo Messenger: SilverEightynine

DML Profile URL: http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/