Re: Fan Shroud Swap

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 09:03:34 EDT

At 12:51 AM 5/1/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Has anyone swapped a 97-99 fan shroud out with a 2000+ shroud?? I'm looking
>at doing this as my next mod. The reason why I am looking at doing this is
>since the coolant resivoir is on top of the fan on the 2000+ models, I could
>use the 2000 shroud, and remove the old coolant resivor....alowing for more
>air flow in the engine compartment.
>
>Also, since i'm probably doing a viper fan install at the same time, this
>might be a prime time to make the switch.
>
>Any ideas??? Gary Hedlin

The viper fan has its own shroud.

For air flow into the bay on the driver's side, remove the overflow bottle,
find a smaller replacement bottle (I used the small square shape bottle
from a late 80s Mazda pickup to keep cost down) and attach the Mazda's
support plate to an existing bolt on the passenger side (does not interfere
with air flow into the bay on the passenger side).

I did this on my 97 because I'm using the ram air box from Air Inlet
System and running two 4" air ducts up to either side of the rad.
Also, I relocated the battery to the back for weight redistribution
and room for the driver's side air duct. Battery relocation is not
necessary if you just want to open up air flow into the bay.

HTH. Bob