a/c evaporator

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (patrickandkelly@erols.com)
Date: Thu May 08 2003 - 19:37:19 EDT

I think the prices the shop gave your dad are actually low! What about
the cost of the evacuation and recharge? Most shops charge $150-$200
for that alone. What about the receiver/drier? That's normally $125
installed or so, and should be replaced anytime the system is opened up
for repairs otherwise the outlet temperature can be as much as 5-10
degrees warmer than it could be. The evaporator is buried in the dash on
the Durango, and it'll take the tech every bit of 6-8 hours to change it
and re-assemble everything. At $65/hour, that's over $500 in labor,
plus the parts, plus the recharge. I'd ask what you're getting for the
price, and why the other things are not included for a "good", quality job.
  Other notes-
  Many radiator shops do this stuff to at a lower price. Maybe check there.
  Definitely change heater hoses while you're at it.
  To go this far and not pop in a new heater core while everything is
apart is kinda foolish. Spend the few bucks and put a new one in now,
before it goes out in 8 months and you're tearing it all out again.
  I'd double check the shop that said they'd install it for $265. Ask
them how many Durangos they've done.
Patrick