Re: sealed or ported sub?

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Fri May 09 2003 - 10:16:57 EDT

"Patrick Delgado" <dadoctah@vitelcom.net> wrote in message
news:BAE05DAB.82CB%dadoctah@vitelcom.net...

> For the bass gurus-
>
> I was looking at some 12" subs that Crutchfield is selling cheap(infinity
> Reference, 2 for $120).
> They take 1.25cf for sealed and about 2 cf for ported.

Some of the infinity subs are pretty nice! Looks like you got a good deal
too.

> 1. Using a 2.2cf enclosure, what would sound "better" in it-1 sub ported
or
> 2 subs sealed?

If it were me, I'd put both of those subs in that 2.2cf enclosure. Yes, the
combined airspace will be a little less than what infinity sais it needs to
be, but you can pick up some poly pillow stuffing and put that in the box
until you achieve the desired sound. While ported enclosures move more air
and are capable of generating equally high spl levels as a sealed enclosure,
the bass will not be as tight or clean sounding. There's also the headache
of setting the port frequency so that you don't get any reverb or anything
like that. Plus, it will only really sound good at the frequencies that the
port ot tuned to. For a nice dynamic sounding sub, definately go with
sealed.

> 2. On installing woofers w/ the magnets outside, Do they work the same?
Does
> this increase cabinet volume?

It will increase cabinet volume by a little bit since the whole basket/motor
assy will not be in the box. I've never mounted an infinity sub inverted
like that, but I have mounted subs inverted before. If it's a high quality
sub that's properly driven, it *should* hit HARDER because in an automotive
aplication (such as your truck), the bass is generated more from the back
side of the woofer cone. Just make sure you get your phasing right when you
run the interconnects and tune via the head unit, you might have to run the
sub in reverse phase. (hopefully yours has a woofer out) If you want to try
it, go right ahead, it might just sound pretty good! Myself, the only sub
that I'd ever mount inverted is a focal audio one. They're designed to be
mounted either way. Good luck Patrick!

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L