Re: RE: Is this thing on?

From: Brian Tong (thedude807@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri May 16 2003 - 22:03:39 EDT

Like I said, I'v had three Dakota's Gen I, II, and III. All three had this
EXACT same problem. WHen I brake there is a slight "clunk" that I can feel
in the steering wheel and a little in the brake pedal. When I accelerate, I
feel it "clunk" just a little agian. Bouncing the front end does not
produce the "clunk". It was so bad in my '92 you could hear it. My 89 and
now my 99 it's just enough to feel. It's not a continuouse noise, it only
happens when wieght transfers to the front and then when it transfers back
to the rear. The wierd thing is, on ALL THREE trucks, it started right
after the first time I ran in through mud.

I greased all the zerks and shook down the front, tight as a drum. Nothing
appears bent/broken or out of the ordinary. My old trucks had a lot of
miles on them, so I chalked it up to worn bushings and never really worried
about, but now my newer one is doing it.

Could it be the steering column? It moves around a LITTLE, but nothing out
of the ordinary.

Any similar problems? More importantly, ANY FIXES?!?!