Re: Power rear windows for an ext. Cab ??

From: jdurling@bellsouth.net
Date: Sun May 18 2003 - 10:50:22 EDT

I know there was a write up for the Gen II, actually have it somewhere, but
I don't know about the Gen III. From the Gen II one here's what a remember
that may, or may not, cause problems for you. You need the power window
levers (older caravans had these too so that may make it easier at the junk
yard), you also needed the over head console (has the switches in it.

On the Gen II the overhead consoles were a dead on fit (the roof bracing for
the mounting bracket was salso dead on). Now on the Gen III I don't know if
the overhead console would work. ANother thing, if you do not have a
computer and want to add one that is nearly impossible on the Gen III (can
be done on the Gen II, though, with patience).

A thought I had on the Gen III, though was this. You could either get a
windows switch assembly from a Durango (if pre QC) and wire the rear window
switches to operate the pop out windows. This should work fine since a
window goes up or down so you have the right switches with a nuetral
position in the middle and of course a toggle to go up or down (or in this
case in or out). Another thing you could do if you have buckets (or want to
go to them) is get a center console fromm a Durango ('01 and up only work
here as they have the cutouts) and use the top two cutouts for the rear pop
out window switches (this could also be use for someone with a Gen II
extended cab who wanted to update the interior but didn't want the overhead
or couldn't find one). Be advised that if you go this route you can only use
the Durango console because the Dakota one has a tray where the switches
would be.

I personally think that the easiest and best way to do this would be the
door switches (least headaches). You will, of course, have to remove the
trim and see about mounting the levers (could be a problem but I think it's
possible) as well as the wiring. Don;t forget to protect it with a fuse.

If anybody does attempt this on the Gen III do a write up and get it to Jon
to put on the homepage. PLease take pictures. We should also try to locate
the other write up again and see if we can get permission to add that also.

Jeff Durling - long winded