RE: Re: Rolltop/Roll-n-Lok cover

From: Jeff Durling (jdurling@bellsouth.net)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 14:20:58 EDT

That bar was the only thing that was a minus on the RNL when I bought
it. After a while it wasn't even an issue. The Bar on the tailgate
solved one of the most annoying things about the Pace Edwards though, I
hated the flapping it did at the tailgate no matter how sung you set the
rails. What was bad about it since it flapped it leaked water in and it
would spray halfway under the cover into the bed. IT also wore the crap
out of the weather strip on the edge of the cover. I had mine set all of
the way back I could get it and I installed the cover flush to the
tailgate so there was no way it could get any closer. When stopped it
was snug but when moving was the problem. The RNL leaks a little water
also at the corners of the rails and the cover (nearly impossible to
seal this the way the cover are designed) but it was just a little bit
right there not up into the bed. Kind of ignored/ forgot about it.

The bleaching I have no idea about. I used 303 on the cover about every
two weeks and if you know this stuff then you know that should be way
more than plenty. The RNL cover never did that so I think that is one
place that Pace Edwards should look into borrowing. The plastic canister
cover would be another. The RNL had a metal cover with a black wrinkle
finish on it. Look as good as new a year and half later.

I am not saying the Pace Edwards is a bad cover but, to me, it was way
overpriced for the quality of it. Mine started rusting at the staples
that hold the vinyl to the metal sections underneath plus I had to keep
painting the bed rails. I finally had to change out the screws for the
two pieces of rail because they were rusting together. I used stainless
after that.

In my experience I found the RNL to be far superior in every way. It's
just a more slid design and the materials they used are first rate. The
only complaint I have it I wish they still made the solid hard cover
they used to. If you know roll up hurricane shutter then that is
basically what it was. The middle of the bed when closed could take
300lbs. It very very tough. Unfortunately they discontinued it. I am
still hoping to find a used one for my '96 dak.

Jeff Durling