Re: 5.7 Hemi measurements

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue May 20 2003 - 16:31:32 EDT

"Jeff Durling" <jdurling@bellsouth.net> wrote:

: Does anybody know where I can find the measurements of the block of the
: 5.7 Hemi and the 5.2 Magnum? Also, just to clarify, the tranny that it
: uses is based on a case form a previous tranny form the magnum engines?

   I can't help with the engine measurements, but I remember reading that
the tranny is the same bolt pattern as used on the 4.7. (Which is different
than the Magnum) So, an NV3500 or an auto behind the 4.7 should bolt up
to the HEMI.

: The reason I am thinking this is I am considering that as a swap in a
: Gen II dak. I read an article about a year ago right before it was put
: in the Ram that Mopar Performance was planning on offering this in a
: crate version along with a universal harness and computer like they do
: the viper engine. It was one of the Mopar mags but I don't remember
: which one.

   I seem to recall something along the same lines. I read in either
Mopar Action or Mopar Muscle that the magazine is doing a Cuda built
to today's standards, with upgraded brakes, drivetrain, etc. Apparently,
DC promised them the first HEMI crate motor off the line.

: I just think that this engine, even in nearly stock 345hp form, would be
: a screamer in the lighter Gen II dak. My biggest concern is depth but
: the one I looked at didn't look like it would be a problem. It actually
: looked more compact to me then the 5.2/ 5.9 magnum. If that's true it
: would be a great engine for the roomy engine bay of this truck.

  Yep, the GenII/HEMI should be a nice combo. And shouldn't be too
big of a deal in a GenII - if a 440 will fit, that little HEMI should
too. :-) Sounds like a nice project! (I love spending other people's
money.) ;-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'