O/T: 91 Sundance - plugs question

From: Ken Allgood (kenallgood@cox.net)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 20:15:51 EDT

Hey all, working on my dads 91 Plymouth Sundance (I think the 2.5L engine)
because it was running rough and he lost all engine power while driving it
on the hwy (making some pinging sounds he says too). Well, went right to
the plugs and first one was coated black all around, so figure getting no
spark. Go and get some new plugs/cap/rotor, get to the 2nd plug, and the
tip is just coated in oil. Am I right in assuming that this is a valve seal
blown???? What are the possible problems that can cause that? We know this
engine is on it's last legs, he's just driving it until it kills over....
Thanks for any insight!

Ken Allgood
97 CC SLT 5.2L