Re: Lots of tire questions

From: Donald (y2kota@mallettservices.com)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 16:19:36 EDT

in article 8F807B93637B104F96D6A4D187408C0D0620E2@infocoex2.infosysinc.com,
"Craig Rash" at CRash@infosysinc.com wrote on 5/27/03 1:03 PM:

> I am thinking of replacing the tires on my dakota since they are nearing
> the end of their life.
> I've got stock 15' rims. I am thinking of replacing the stock
> 255/65r15's with 31x10.5r15's. If necessary I plan to raise the truck
> 1.5 to 2 inches with spring helpers?? I took a look at the tire calc
> and it's very helpful but it left me with a couple of questions...
> Questions:
> 1)Can the Speedometer be recalibrated?
I tried to get mine recalibrated for the 31x10.5x15 and no luck. PCM didn't
go to that large of a tire

> 2)will this help or hurt fuel economy (fewer RPM)?
I have questions to ask about that my self. I'll start a new post for it.

> 3)My gearing is 3.55. I am told with the new tires it will be as if it
> were 3.25. Can someone explain this to me.
Some other guys did allready and did a better job of it then I could. I
found the Dak to do OK with the 31x10.5x15 tires

> 4)Can any one give some advice on this? (better tire/wheel combo) (good
> or bad for the tuck)
I have photos of my truck here with the new and OEM tires..
http://www.mallettservices.com/y2kota.html Not to blow my own horn, Had lots
of people tell me it looks better with the 31x10.5x15 tires. They fill the
wheel wells nicely also! The front rub just a little when the springs are
fully compressed.

--
Don Mallett