Lots of tire questions

From: Craig Rash (CRash@infosysinc.com)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 14:01:32 EDT

I am thinking of replacing the tires on my dakota since they are nearing
the end of their life.
I've got stock 15' rims. I am thinking of replacing the stock
255/65r15's with 31x10.5r15's. If necessary I plan to raise the truck
1.5 to 2 inches with spring helpers?? I took a look at the tire calc
and it's very helpful but it left me with a couple of questions...
Questions:
1)Can the Speedometer be recalibrated?
2)will this help or hurt fuel economy (fewer RPM)?
3)My gearing is 3.55. I am told with the new tires it will be as if it
were 3.25. Can someone explain this to me.
4)Can any one give some advice on this? (better tire/wheel combo) (good
or bad for the tuck)

 I don't necessarily want it to look like a 4x4 just more like a truck.

Craig Rash
2000 Dakota Sport ClubCab Black 3.9 w/FABM