Re: That's more like it!

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 16:41:09 EDT

Bob Tom <tigers@bserv.com> wrote:
:>As far as your tranny troubles go, do you think it has to
:>do with the full throttle acceleration, or does it shift
:>erratically all of the time?

: The troubles happen only at WOT from a standing start and
: then randomly. Under part throttle, it shifts both automatically
: or manually perfectly with the Transgo kit. Even from a rolling
: start and going to WOT, the shifts are clean 99% of the time.

: I've tried everything that I can think off short of an unaffordable
: rebuild or pcm flash to raise the shift points... TV cable adjustment,
: governor pressure solenoid and sensor replacements, band adjustments,
: tranny cooler, Amsoil ATF. All have helped to some extent but the
: tranny will still decide if and when it wants to shift. Last Sunday,
: I went through 8 runs (longest yet) before it raised its ugly head.

    Does anyone make a manual valve body for that tranny? Probably
a bit of a drastic step though. Maybe a throttle stop would be a
better choice for bracket racing - certainly cheaper and could be
disabled during daily driving, unlike a manual valve body. :-)
If you're interested in trying one out, maybe I can whip something
up and send it to ya for beta testing - feel free to drop me an
e-mail if you'd like to discuss design ideas. :-)

:>I ask because I have been thinking that when I get some time to start
:>going to the track again, I was going to try something like putting a
:>block under the accelerator or using a throttle stop such that it would
:>only allow the accelerator to go 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down.

: Hmmmm. Getting back into the saddle just when I'm retiring from the
: track :-)

  Well, *thinking* about getting back into the saddle eventually... ;-)
Anyway, we all stopped taking your retirement threats seriously
about 3 seasons ago! ;-)

: Last year, I went back to the archives (around 98) when Vlad. etc.were
: having the same problem with their R/Ts after putting in the Transgo kit.
: They could not figure out the cause. Someone did disconnect the TV
: cable (wouldn't want to do this for a long period) and said it worked.
: Naturally, there is no kickdown but when you're up-shifting manually,
: it doesn't matter. You may recall that I tried it and I got the shifts when
: I wanted them but you may also recall that it stayed at WOT (thank god
: for the extra 1/4 mile shutdown) :-) BTW, I do disconnect the cable whenever
: I do a dyno run so that it doesn't kickdown from 3rd and throw all the
: readouts out of whack.

   Ahhh, so *that's* what caused it. :-) I remember the incident, but didn't
put the 2 together.

[...]
: the same 1/2 length. As I approached the stripe, I got off the gas, gave
: the brakes
: one hard stomp and crossed with a 14.58. He broke out with a 17.84. I wonder
: if he'll speak with me the next time out :-)

   :-) You're a marked man, now! "Watch out for the guy in that Red
Dakota, he's a sneaky one..." Oh well, as long as it trips the win
light. ;-)

:>Has Jim been helpin' you out? As much as he races, I'm surprised
:>he isn't running points too!

: No. I tried to talk him into running points but I don't think that he's
: even been
: on the track this year :-( I guess that Jim is taking retirement literally :-)

  :-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'