Charging system question

From: WP (puzlist@mn.rr.com)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 23:31:18 EDT

Hi,

I'm going to be putting a 360 Magnum in my Dart, and I'd kind of like to
keep the serpentine belt system. This means I'd have to either find
some way to mount my existing alternator to the Magnum engine, or use a
Magnum alternator. I think it'd be easier to use the Magnum's
alternator. I need to know what/where the connections on the alternator
are wired to. I know there's a battery post that connects directly to
the battery, and I know one of the field posts connects to fused power.
  In the service manual for my Dakota, I see that the other field post
is connected to the PCM. Shouldn't it be connected to ground, in order
to complete the circuit? What is the PCM doing with that signal?
Shouldn't there be a voltage regulator in there somewhere?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks