Re: RE: RE: steering squeak & noise

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Mon Jun 02 2003 - 17:37:04 EDT

""Gabriel A. Couriel"" <BigGabe@fiufiji.com> wrote in message
news:MOEEJOOFGDIGEJODCLKMGELECEAA.BigGabe@FIUFIJI.com...

> when the ball joints go bad, what kind of noise do they make? i started
> having noise from my suspension (seems like all around), where the
> suspension squeaks when i go over bumps, no matter what the size. it is a
> loud squeak, which sounds like an old work truck when driving. i don't
> think that the shocks are bad, although i might just upgrade them if they
> have to come out.

Ball joints usually make a clunking or dull thud noise when they go bad...
you might want to lift the truck (both keeping the weight on the suspension
and without) and try and move the wheel up and down (grab top and bottom and
try to rock it) and see what kind of noise (if any) you get. Sometimes they
will squeak though, however this only usually (in my experiance) happens
when they severly need to be greased.

> also, if the ball joints are bad, what should i replace them with? i've
> heard Moog ball joints, but i'm not sure how good those are. any
> suggestions would be much appreciated.

IMHO, Moog makes some of the best suspension parts that you can buy. I
replaced my weak stockers with their stuff a few months ago, the whole front
end is much tighter now.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L