Re: peeling clear coat... the saga continues....

From: Tubamirbls@aol.com
Date: Tue Jun 03 2003 - 19:11:53 EDT

Hi Brian
     Thanks for your reply
     You're correct that an original paint job should last more than 5yrs
     There are contributing factors however to the life expectancy of today's
automotive finishes a great deal of which has to do with the mixture of
direct sun, the amount of rain-snow-all moisture sources and how clean the finish
is kept and preserved.
     As you know, federal law has mandated for about a dozen years now that
all automotive finishes be water base products, primers, color coats and clear
coats. While the paint industry is reluctant to admit it, they have had real
problems with certain colors (often the darkest ones) or with clear coats
regardless of color. Even where the vehicle manufacturer has lived up to the
paint industry instructions 100% in painting their vehicles there continues to be
severe problems with the bonding of clear coats resulting in the peeling
you're experiencing.
     If a vehicle is driven almost daily and one can assume that would also
be mostly during sunlit hours, the principal advantage for having overnight
garage coverage is to allow in rain and snow conditions for the moisture to run
off and the surfaces to dry (unless of course it's snow and one's garage is so
cold that nothing melts inside it).
    I'm quoting all of this from the long session I had regarding peeling
paint and the reluctance of the factory to stand behind their warranty. Their
initial offer to me was almost identical to yours. I too had peeling on the
hood and cab top. On advice from a local body shop owner, I held on for no
deductible payment and for a complete repainting of the cab top and hood,
absolutely no spot "repairs." On a threat to go to a public forum and to seek legal
redress if need be if I didn't get my way I got my way. Hang in there

Paul Sahlin