Re: Power Slot

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Jun 06 2003 - 17:25:13 EDT

"Josh Battles" <jbattles@bankfinancial.com> wrote:

: So, you're one of THOSE people, huh? I always hated it when people wouldn't
: let us use air to at least remove the lugnuts. You're not gonna damage
: anything taking them off with air if they were put on correctly in the first
: place. I can see not allowing the use of air to re-install because of
: over-tightening issues, but if done correctly and torque sticks are used you
: shouldn't have a problem. I use an impact at home when I remove and
: reinstall my wheels and have never had a problem due to over tightening
: because I use the torque stick. It's all in the proper tools.

  Here's my procedure, in case anybody cares. :-) Before lifting the
vehicle, I use a breaker bar to loosen them (the impact wrench doesn't
always break 'em free - sounds like an excuse for a bigger impact
wrench to me!) ;-) Anyway, then I lift the vehicle and use the
impact wrench to remove the lugnuts. To put the wheel back on, I thread
the lug nuts on a few turns by hand and then use air to snug them down
in the proper pattern. I use the lowest setting though, which is
probably comparable to tightening them with a box end wrench. At that
point, I lower the vehicle slightly so the tire contacts the ground,
torque the lug nuts in the proper pattern by hand with a torque wrench,
then drop the vehicle down all the way.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'