Re: Power Slot

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Fri Jun 06 2003 - 17:37:20 EDT

<jon@dakota-truck.net> wrote in message
news:bbr0rp$ubm$1@bent.twistedbits.net...

> Here's my procedure, in case anybody cares. :-) Before lifting the
> vehicle, I use a breaker bar to loosen them (the impact wrench doesn't
> always break 'em free - sounds like an excuse for a bigger impact
> wrench to me!) ;-) Anyway, then I lift the vehicle and use the
> impact wrench to remove the lugnuts. To put the wheel back on, I thread
> the lug nuts on a few turns by hand and then use air to snug them down
> in the proper pattern. I use the lowest setting though, which is
> probably comparable to tightening them with a box end wrench. At that
> point, I lower the vehicle slightly so the tire contacts the ground,
> torque the lug nuts in the proper pattern by hand with a torque wrench,
> then drop the vehicle down all the way.

And that's how you're supposed to do it! :-)
Also, let me say, it sure must be nice having a lift! I'm jealous.

You should always thread the lugnuts on a few turns by hand but
unfortunately that's one of the most common steps forgotten by the tire
change kids at most of these places. It's actually kinda sad that they
don't pay attention to the details. But hey, what do you expect from
someone making $5.50 to bust tires all day long?

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L