Re: Fuel tank

From: Droo (03dakotaCC4.7_4x4@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Jun 08 2003 - 21:12:24 EDT

On Sun, 08 Jun 2003 20:23:59 -0400 (EDT), <Tubamirbls@aol.com> wrote:

> Hi Droo
> "Fill up" depends upon several things. I can count on a pretty
> consistent 19-20mpg so I pay little attention to my low fuel icon and its
> chimes or my gas gauge but set my trip odometer at each fillup to zero
> and when I've gone about 400mi I start to look for a gas station. The
> system works flawlessly for me and I've never run out nor have I even
> taken more than 21 gal and then after going something like 430mi.
> The secret is in consistently getting the tank totally full. Most gas
> station dispensers fill at a rate to where they first shut off when I'm
> filling my tank and have almost exactly 2 more gal to go to where it is
> totally full. The next gal goes in rather slowly and the final gal quite
> slowly but it still goes in and with no spillage. Then I am full into
> the neck where you can see it and the gas is no longer trickling down
> into the tank after withdrawing the dispenser. My gauge then reads about
> one needle width past the "F" mark and remains there for the first 70-
> 90mi.
> I always do the totally full routine and make a quick check to see that
> my mileage is not deteriorating. If it is then even though the truck is
> performing normally I know I need to have an expert check out the engine
> (or for me, lo tires, dragging brakes, doing a lot of trailer pulling or
> mountain grades with a big cargo, etc)
>
> Paul Sahlin

Whew! I'm glad I said something. I live in NJ, so I can't fill up my own
tank. So I guess I've been 2 gallons short. I drive like you. Paying most
attention to the mileage. That indicator goes on when there is like 6
gallons left in the tank. It's absurd. I'm getting about 16.5 mpg now. What
are you drivin'?

--
-Droo
 Email: 03dakotaCC4.7_4x4@comcast.net