Re: Fuel tank

From: Tubamirbls@aol.com
Date: Sun Jun 08 2003 - 20:23:59 EDT

Hi Droo
     "Fill up" depends upon several things. I can count on a pretty
consistent 19-20mpg so I pay little attention to my low fuel icon and its chimes or
my gas gauge but set my trip odometer at each fillup to zero and when I've gone
about 400mi I start to look for a gas station. The system works flawlessly
for me and I've never run out nor have I even taken more than 21 gal and then
after going something like 430mi.
     The secret is in consistently getting the tank totally full. Most gas
station dispensers fill at a rate to where they first shut off when I'm filling
my tank and have almost exactly 2 more gal to go to where it is totally full.
 The next gal goes in rather slowly and the final gal quite slowly but it
still goes in and with no spillage. Then I am full into the neck where you can
see it and the gas is no longer trickling down into the tank after withdrawing
the dispenser. My gauge then reads about one needle width past the "F" mark
and remains there for the first 70-90mi.
     I always do the totally full routine and make a quick check to see that
my mileage is not deteriorating. If it is then even though the truck is
performing normally I know I need to have an expert check out the engine (or for
me, lo tires, dragging brakes, doing a lot of trailer pulling or mountain grades
with a big cargo, etc)

Paul Sahlin