RE: alternator question

From: RayB (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 14:23:30 EDT

How do you know it's the alternator? Have you removed the belt and spun and
wiggled all the pulleys to see which one isn't right? Hate to see you
spend all that money and not fix the noise.

<snip>
> what recommendations do you all have for this problem? should i get the
> Bosch 136Amp (autolite also makes one, 120Amp but it says "w/ factory tow"
> which i don't have, will it make a difference?) or get the brand with the
> lifetime warranty?
>
> thanks a lot
> Gabe Couriel

The description for the 120 amp merely means that it came with the factory
tow pkg, as did mine. Doesn't mean you can't use it. My experience with
"lifetime" warranties from discount auto part stores is that you're gonna
spend a lot of time replacing the parts just to get a free one. My
daughter's on her third rebuilt (lifetime warranty) alternator in three
years. I don't know what brand she bought and don't care since she has a
chevy truck. :-(

RayB