Rear Axles for Dakotas......

From: DRD892@aol.com
Date: Fri Jun 13 2003 - 10:44:20 EDT

First, I'll address the question concerning the axle for the R/T.
All R/T's get the same axle. Part Number is: 52070200AC
The two letter designation at the end changes when there are small
modifications to the axles. The "AC" is the current number for 2003.
They are a: 9 1/4 3.92 Dana TracLoc and currently uses disk brakes.
If I remember right, the 2000 model was an "AA". The letter designation
changed when the axle was changed from a Yoke to a Companion Flange
for the drive shaft connection. It changed again when the brakes changed
from drums to disk. The basic part number stays the same.

For the current year (2003), these are the axles available in Dakotas:

Ten 8 1/4 4X2 Axles.
Four 8 1/4 4X4 Axles.
Eight 9 1/4 4X2 Axles.
Four 9 1/4 4X4 Axles.

The differences are the ratios (3.21, 3.55 and 3.92), Open Case or TracLoc
and brakes. There are still a few axles that get a drum brake instead of
the disk. If the axles takes a drum brake, the brake size is 11X2.5 inch.

Which axle is installed in each Dakota depends on the truck size (short or
long Wheel Base), Engine size, Transmission and optional packages.

David R.
Sterling Heights
Michigan
DC Detroit Axle Plant