RE: The $900 Repair Bill

From: Gabriel A. Couriel (BigGabe@fiufiji.com)
Date: Fri Jun 13 2003 - 12:17:16 EDT

from a stealership? yeah, it's a fair price. then again, where i live,
there are specialized a/c shops that would charge far less than that for the
repair (got to love the cheap labor). Around here, the dealerships charge
between $60-90/hour of labor, so for $900, it doesn't sound like a bad deal
to me. do you leave your A/C on when you start the car? if you do, you
should stop that. that is one of the principle causes of compressor damage
(i used to work for a compressor remanufacturer... the things i saw were
sometimes scary). if you turn off the A/C when you shut down the car, you
can extend the life of a compressor by 50-75% (my mom's 92 pontiac had the
factory A/C when she traded it in... in Miami we use the A/C from
March-October/November, so they get heavy duty workouts).

Gabe Couriel
http://frontpage.tripod.com/fijigabe0