Oil analysis came back ...

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Fri Jun 13 2003 - 22:34:33 EDT

If you remember from a couple of months ago, I was concerned that Royal Purple oil didn't
do as good a job protecting my engine as Mobil 1 has due to increased iron content on my
last to oil analysis. I went back to Mobil 1 and the iron continued to go up. This is when
I emailed the list on my findings. I decided to run another change of Mobil 1 through the
engine with a flush the day it needed to be changed. I did the flush, dumped the oil and
put another changed of Mobil 1 in it. This, I sent off to Blackstone for an analysis with
the hope the iron content would go down after the flush. It didn't happen. In fact, the
iron content is even higher at 212 ppm compared to below 50 before this story started.
Blackstone is suggesting a part of the engine that is steel on steel since my aluminum and
chrome levels are below the universal averages. This means it's very unlikely to be a ring
or cylinder problem. This is good. But, they suggested the oil pump while last time
suggesting maybe the valve train. Either way, they think it's time to find out what's
going on. So, tomorrow I'm going to start opening up my 318. Valve covers are first. I'll
be looking for either a broken/misaligned spring, or other wear. If I don't see anything,
I'm going to pull the intake manifold and take a look at the cam. After that, I haven't
decided if I want to pull the timing chain cover or go ahead and drop the oil pan. I'll
decide that if I get that far.

Bottom line, I don't blame Royal Purple, but I still have to open up my Dak.

I'll scan and post the analysis sheet later this evening.

John
http://jndneff.home.texas.net/dakota/dakota.html